You are a landowner with a parcel of land that you do not want to see developed, what do you do to protect it? You might protect the land by putting restrictions in the deed when the property is sold. However, what if you don’t want to sell the property, but would like to protect the land and possibly gain a tax advantage? Establishing a Conservation Easement over the property could be the answer. A Conservation Easement is a statutory creation by which a landowner creates an easement interest, or restriction on the land, to preserve the property’s natural beauty, agricultural forestry, recreational use or maintaining air and water quality (See 33 M.R.S.A. §476-§479-C). The piece of property does not have to be a large tract of land. It can be any size parcel, especially if it is protecting a unique natural beauty. A Conservation Easement may also be established to protect a historical, architectural or archeological setting. A Conservation Easement requires that a Holder be appointed to monitor the land for compliance with the Easement terms. The…Read More
Rudman Winchell is a full service law firm serving the people, businesses and communities of Maine. With our vast legal resources and more than two dozen attorneys located in Bangor, we become a true strategic partner with the clients we serve.
Rudman • Winchell's Practice Groups
Individual • Family
Rudman Winchell attorneys provide expert guidance and on matters involving all aspects of Maine individual and family law including Divorce, Probate, Elder Law, Wills and Estate Planning.
Business • Corporate
Rudman Winchell business attorneys regularly represent clients in all aspects of business and corporate law.
Litigation • Trials
Rudman Winchell’s trial lawyers have extensive experience in both federal and state courts in a vast array of civil matters as well as criminal defense.
Municipal • Government Law
Rudman Winchell represents clients' interests in administrative and enforcement proceedings before government agencies and boards, including appeals.
Insurance • Workers Compensation
Rudman Winchell’s insurance law attorneys offer specialized representation to insurance companies and their insureds.
Real Estate • Property
Rudman Winchell has a broad Maine based real estate practice. Our real estate attorneys provide representation of banks and other lending institutions
Employment • Labor Law
Rudman Winchell’s experienced Employment and Labor attorneys advise clients on preventive strategies and positive solutions in Maine labor and workplace law.
Timberlands • Natural Resources
Rudman Winchell is located in the heart of Maine's industrial timberlands, and is a trusted partner of the timber industry and other natural resource based enterprises.
Healthcare • Hospitals
Rudman Winchell provides a comprehensive array of legal services to clients in the health care industry, throughout the state of Maine.
FROM THE ATTORNEY'S BLOG
More News & Events
- Rudman Winchell Attorney Allison A. Economy Elected a Partner at the Firm
- The Cash Minimum Wage for Tipped Employees Will Rise from $3.75 to $5.00 per hour Effective on January 7, 2017
- FREE LUNCH & LEARN- A New Year of HR: Are You Ready?
- Federal Judge Blocks New Overtime Regulations that Were to Take Effect December 1, 2016
- Rudman Winchell Welcomes Four New Attorneys
- Join us for the Annual Rudman Winchell Employment Law Seminar
- Rudman Winchell and Maine Elder Law present a FREE Estate Planning and Elder Law Seminar.
- Rudman Winchell presents FREE Lunch and Learn on changes to salaried exempt employees rules, OSHA reporting rules, and wellness program standards.
- Attorney Frank McGuire Will be a Guest Speaker at Annual Berry Dunn Seminar