If you are a landlord, chances are you have dealt with a problem tenant at least at some point in time. For most landlords, late rent payments and minor damage issues are chalked up to the cost of doing business. But for others, collecting timely rental payments can mean the difference between the ability to cover monthly mortgage payments on the rental unit and going into default. For these landlords especially, carefully selecting tenants is of the upmost importance. But what happens when the selection process crosses the line from diligent to downright illegal? The Fair Housing Act, Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, is a federal law intended to protect tenants from landlord discrimination. It prohibits landlords from renting (or refusing to rent) to tenants based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or familial status. While this sounds obvious to most, the details of the Fair Housing Act can be surprising to some. For instance, say you own a multi-unit building where a current tenant works nights and often complains about excessive noise during…Read More
Rudman Winchell is a full service law firm serving the people, businesses and communities of Maine. With our vast legal resources and more than two dozen attorneys located in Bangor, we become a true strategic partner with the clients we serve.
Rudman • Winchell's Practice Groups
Individual • Family
Rudman Winchell attorneys provide expert guidance and on matters involving all aspects of Maine individual and family law including Divorce, Probate, Elder Law, Wills and Estate Planning.
Business • Corporate
Rudman Winchell business attorneys regularly represent clients in all aspects of business and corporate law.
Litigation • Trials
Rudman Winchell’s trial lawyers have extensive experience in both federal and state courts in a vast array of civil matters as well as criminal defense.
Municipal • Government Law
Rudman Winchell represents clients' interests in administrative and enforcement proceedings before government agencies and boards, including appeals.
Insurance • Workers Compensation
Rudman Winchell’s insurance law attorneys offer specialized representation to insurance companies and their insureds.
Real Estate • Property
Rudman Winchell has a broad Maine based real estate practice. Our real estate attorneys provide representation of banks and other lending institutions
Employment • Labor Law
Rudman Winchell’s experienced Employment and Labor attorneys advise clients on preventive strategies and positive solutions in Maine labor and workplace law.
Timberlands • Natural Resources
Rudman Winchell is located in the heart of Maine's industrial timberlands, and is a trusted partner of the timber industry and other natural resource based enterprises.
Healthcare • Hospitals
Rudman Winchell provides a comprehensive array of legal services to clients in the health care industry, throughout the state of Maine.
FROM THE ATTORNEY'S BLOG
More News & Events
- Rudman Winchell Achieves High Rankings From Chambers USA in Nationwide Excellence Report
- JOIN US FOR A FREE LUNCH AND LEARN ON CHANGES TO SALARIED EXEMPT EMPLOYEE RULES, OSHA REPORTING RULES, AND WELLNESS PROGRAM STANDARDS
- Rudman Winchell Presents Free Lunch and Learn in Bar Harbor
- Rudman Winchell Attorneys David C. King, Frank T. McGuire, and Edmond J. Bearor Named New England Super Lawyers
- Anne-Marie Storey to Present at Maine Municipal Association Event
- Anne-Marie Storey named Vice President of Bangor YMCA Board of Directors
- Former Rudman Winchell Attorney Charles Budd Confirmed as District Court Judge
- Complimentary Employment Law Lunch and Learn
- New Year Resolutions: How Healthy are your HR Systems/Policies?
- Attorney Charles Budd is a Judicial Nominee