In light of the filing on May 23, 2016, by Tom Brady (hereinafter “#12”) of a “Petition for Panel Rehearing or Rehearing En Banc” (hereinafter the “Petition”), and the publicity surrounding it, I thought I’d take a stab at explaining what it really is, since most of the sports reporters (even the better and well informed) tend to butcher it a bit. Or maybe I’m just sort of an academic snob. To understand, we need a bit of background about the federal judicial system. The United States has a bunch of courts which are quite separate from courts of the different States—such as Maine state courts. #12’s case is in the federal court system. That system has three levels: One or more “District Courts” in every State (Maine has only one federal District Court, with a northern and southern division—but Maine has just one District Court—unlike New York which has 4 District Courts), a “United States Court of Appeals” to which a disgruntled party can appeal from a District Court, and the “United States Supreme Court,” above that. Contrary…Read More
Rudman Winchell is a full service law firm serving the people, businesses and communities of Maine. With our vast legal resources and more than two dozen attorneys located in Bangor, we become a true strategic partner with the clients we serve.
Rudman • Winchell's Practice Groups
Individual • Family
Rudman Winchell attorneys provide expert guidance and on matters involving all aspects of Maine individual and family law including Divorce, Probate, Elder Law, Wills and Estate Planning.
Business • Corporate
Rudman Winchell business attorneys regularly represent clients in all aspects of business and corporate law.
Litigation • Trials
Rudman Winchell’s trial lawyers have extensive experience in both federal and state courts in a vast array of civil matters as well as criminal defense.
Municipal • Government Law
Rudman Winchell represents clients' interests in administrative and enforcement proceedings before government agencies and boards, including appeals.
Insurance • Workers Compensation
Rudman Winchell’s insurance law attorneys offer specialized representation to insurance companies and their insureds.
Real Estate • Property
Rudman Winchell has a broad Maine based real estate practice. Our real estate attorneys provide representation of banks and other lending institutions
Employment • Labor Law
Rudman Winchell’s experienced Employment and Labor attorneys advise clients on preventive strategies and positive solutions in Maine labor and workplace law.
Timberlands • Natural Resources
Rudman Winchell is located in the heart of Maine's industrial timberlands, and is a trusted partner of the timber industry and other natural resource based enterprises.
Healthcare • Hospitals
Rudman Winchell provides a comprehensive array of legal services to clients in the health care industry, throughout the state of Maine.
FROM THE ATTORNEY'S BLOG
More News & Events
- JOIN US FOR A FREE LUNCH AND LEARN ON CHANGES TO SALARIED EXEMPT EMPLOYEE RULES, OSHA REPORTING RULES, AND WELLNESS PROGRAM STANDARDS
- Rudman Winchell Presents Free Lunch and Learn in Bar Harbor
- Rudman Winchell Attorneys David C. King, Frank T. McGuire, and Edmond J. Bearor Named New England Super Lawyers
- Anne-Marie Storey to Present at Maine Municipal Association Event
- Anne-Marie Storey named Vice President of Bangor YMCA Board of Directors
- Former Rudman Winchell Attorney Charles Budd Confirmed as District Court Judge
- Complimentary Employment Law Lunch and Learn
- New Year Resolutions: How Healthy are your HR Systems/Policies?
- Attorney Charles Budd is a Judicial Nominee
- Santa Claus is coming to town, and he’s bringing one big bag of liability.