Large businesses may be made up of dozens of entities, each with its own payroll. Where employees move between these various member entities, the business may be subject to over collection of payroll taxes. Two methods by which certain employers may be able to consolidate payrolls and potentially avoid over collection of taxes is through a common paymaster or Section 3504 agent. Common Paymaster If two or more related corporations employee one individual at the same time, and pay the individual through a so-called “common paymaster,” the corporations are considered to be a single employer for tax purposes and pay no more in social security tax that a single employer would pay. The common paymaster provisions only apply, however, where an employee is concurrently employed by the employers, one of which must also be the common paymaster. Concurrent employment means that the employee performs services for each entity compensating the employee through the paymaster, not just for the benefit of the group of employers. Thus, a common paymaster is not a practical method of consolidating payrolls in situations where employees…Read More
Rudman Winchell is a full service law firm serving the people, businesses and communities of Maine. With our vast legal resources and more than two dozen attorneys located in Bangor, we become a true strategic partner with the clients we serve.
Rudman • Winchell's Practice Groups
Individual • Family
Rudman Winchell attorneys provide expert guidance and on matters involving all aspects of Maine individual and family law including Divorce, Probate, Elder Law, Wills and Estate Planning.
Business • Corporate
Rudman Winchell business attorneys regularly represent clients in all aspects of business and corporate law.
Litigation • Trials
Rudman Winchell’s trial lawyers have extensive experience in both federal and state courts in a vast array of civil matters as well as criminal defense.
Municipal • Government Law
Rudman Winchell represents clients' interests in administrative and enforcement proceedings before government agencies and boards, including appeals.
Insurance • Workers Compensation
Rudman Winchell’s insurance law attorneys offer specialized representation to insurance companies and their insureds.
Real Estate • Property
Rudman Winchell has a broad Maine based real estate practice. Our real estate attorneys provide representation of banks and other lending institutions
Employment • Labor Law
Rudman Winchell’s experienced Employment and Labor attorneys advise clients on preventive strategies and positive solutions in Maine labor and workplace law.
Timberlands • Natural Resources
Rudman Winchell is located in the heart of Maine's industrial timberlands, and is a trusted partner of the timber industry and other natural resource based enterprises.
Healthcare • Hospitals
Rudman Winchell provides a comprehensive array of legal services to clients in the health care industry, throughout the state of Maine.
FROM THE ATTORNEY'S BLOG
More News & Events
- Rudman Winchell presents FREE Lunch and Learn on changes to salaried exempt employees rules, OSHA reporting rules, and wellness program standards.
- Attorney Frank McGuire Will be a Guest Speaker at Annual Berry Dunn Seminar
- Rudman Winchell Recognized as a “Best Law Firm” in America for 2017
- Rudman Winchell Participates in Fraud Watch Wednesday
- Rudman Winchell Achieves High Rankings From Chambers USA in Nationwide Excellence Report
- JOIN US FOR A FREE LUNCH AND LEARN ON CHANGES TO SALARIED EXEMPT EMPLOYEE RULES, OSHA REPORTING RULES, AND WELLNESS PROGRAM STANDARDS
- Rudman Winchell Presents Free Lunch and Learn in Bar Harbor
- Rudman Winchell Attorneys David C. King, Frank T. McGuire, and Edmond J. Bearor Named New England Super Lawyers
- Anne-Marie Storey to Present at Maine Municipal Association Event
- Anne-Marie Storey named Vice President of Bangor YMCA Board of Directors