The EEOC recently released a Report of its “Select Task Force on the Study of Harassment in the Workplace”. The purpose of the report was to “move beyond the legal arena and gain insights from the worlds of social science, and practitioners on the ground, on how to prevent harassment in the workplace”. The Report notes that because the focus of the Task Force was on prevention, its members did not focus only on the legal definition of workplace harassment, but rather “included examination of conduct and behaviors which might not be ‘legally actionable,’ but left unchecked, may set the stage for unlawful harassment.” Some of the key findings were that workplace harassment remains a persistent problem, it often goes unreported, and that training processes to date have not been effective. The Task Force provides the following list of recommendations: Employers should foster an organizational culture in which harassment is not tolerated, and in which respect and civility are promoted. Employers should communicate and model a consistent commitment to that goal. Employers should assess their workplaces for the risk factors…Read More
Rudman Winchell is a full service law firm serving the people, businesses and communities of Maine. With our vast legal resources and more than two dozen attorneys located in Bangor, we become a true strategic partner with the clients we serve.
Rudman • Winchell's Practice Groups
Individual • Family
Rudman Winchell attorneys provide expert guidance and on matters involving all aspects of Maine individual and family law including Divorce, Probate, Elder Law, Wills and Estate Planning.
Business • Corporate
Rudman Winchell business attorneys regularly represent clients in all aspects of business and corporate law.
Litigation • Trials
Rudman Winchell’s trial lawyers have extensive experience in both federal and state courts in a vast array of civil matters as well as criminal defense.
Municipal • Government Law
Rudman Winchell represents clients' interests in administrative and enforcement proceedings before government agencies and boards, including appeals.
Insurance • Workers Compensation
Rudman Winchell’s insurance law attorneys offer specialized representation to insurance companies and their insureds.
Real Estate • Property
Rudman Winchell has a broad Maine based real estate practice. Our real estate attorneys provide representation of banks and other lending institutions
Employment • Labor Law
Rudman Winchell’s experienced Employment and Labor attorneys advise clients on preventive strategies and positive solutions in Maine labor and workplace law.
Timberlands • Natural Resources
Rudman Winchell is located in the heart of Maine's industrial timberlands, and is a trusted partner of the timber industry and other natural resource based enterprises.
Healthcare • Hospitals
Rudman Winchell provides a comprehensive array of legal services to clients in the health care industry, throughout the state of Maine.
FROM THE ATTORNEY'S BLOG
More News & Events
- Rudman Winchell Participates in Fraud Watch Wednesday
- Rudman Winchell Achieves High Rankings From Chambers USA in Nationwide Excellence Report
- JOIN US FOR A FREE LUNCH AND LEARN ON CHANGES TO SALARIED EXEMPT EMPLOYEE RULES, OSHA REPORTING RULES, AND WELLNESS PROGRAM STANDARDS
- Rudman Winchell Presents Free Lunch and Learn in Bar Harbor
- Rudman Winchell Attorneys David C. King, Frank T. McGuire, and Edmond J. Bearor Named New England Super Lawyers
- Anne-Marie Storey to Present at Maine Municipal Association Event
- Anne-Marie Storey named Vice President of Bangor YMCA Board of Directors
- Former Rudman Winchell Attorney Charles Budd Confirmed as District Court Judge
- Complimentary Employment Law Lunch and Learn
- New Year Resolutions: How Healthy are your HR Systems/Policies?