It has been almost eighteen years since the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, late in 2000, issued the HIPAA Privacy Rules to promote the privacy of individuals’ “protected health information.” Shortly thereafter, patients started seeing in their doctors’ offices “Notices of Privacy Practices”—usually in little pamphlet forms, or else just printed on standard 8 1/2”x 11” paper. These Notices are supposed to inform us of our rights and how the health care provider complies with HIPAA. But like so many other things mandated by the government to be delivered in writing to consumers in “ordinary language,” such Notices are difficult to read—long, boring, filled with qualifications, and almost inscrutable. I suspect the percentage of patients who have sat down and slogged through these is very small. I suspect, also, that these Notices are still written in a style that is beyond the reading comprehension of a substantial percentage of adults. The result is that in our society as a whole, very few really understand any of the details, but all are saturated with the general idea that…Read More
Rudman Winchell is a full service law firm serving the people, businesses and communities of Maine. With our vast legal resources and more than two dozen attorneys located in Bangor, we become a true strategic partner with the clients we serve.
Rudman • Winchell's Practice Groups
Individual • Family
Rudman Winchell attorneys provide expert guidance and on matters involving all aspects of Maine individual and family law including Divorce, Probate, Elder Law, Wills and Estate Planning.
Business • Corporate
Rudman Winchell business attorneys regularly represent clients in all aspects of business and corporate law.
Litigation • Trials
Rudman Winchell’s trial lawyers have extensive experience in both federal and state courts in a vast array of civil matters as well as criminal defense.
Municipal • Government Law
Rudman Winchell represents clients' interests in administrative and enforcement proceedings before government agencies and boards, including appeals.
Insurance • Workers Compensation
Rudman Winchell’s insurance law attorneys offer specialized representation to insurance companies and their insureds.
Real Estate • Property
Rudman Winchell has a broad Maine based real estate practice. Our real estate attorneys provide representation of banks and other lending institutions
Employment • Labor Law
Rudman Winchell’s experienced Employment and Labor attorneys advise clients on preventive strategies and positive solutions in Maine labor and workplace law.
Timberlands • Natural Resources
Rudman Winchell is located in the heart of Maine's industrial timberlands, and is a trusted partner of the timber industry and other natural resource based enterprises.
Healthcare • Hospitals
Rudman Winchell provides a comprehensive array of legal services to clients in the health care industry, throughout the state of Maine.
FROM THE ATTORNEY'S BLOG
More News & Events
- Rudman Winchell Recognized as a Tier One Best Law Firm for 2018
- Seven Rudman Winchell Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers/Rising Stars
- Ten Rudman Winchell Attorneys Selected As Best Lawyers in America Representing Thirteen Practice Areas
- Rudman Winchell and The Maine Elder Law Firm present a Complimentary Estate Planning Seminar
- Save the Date: Annual Employment Law Seminar
- Rudman Winchell Victorious For Two Clients In Front of Maine Supreme Court
- Rudman Winchell Achieves Multiple High Rankings From Chambers USA in Nationwide Excellence Report
- Anne-Marie Storey to be part of Maine Biz Women’s Forum
- Rudman Winchell and KMA HR Consulting Team up for March 31 Lunch and Learn
- Court’s decision in Beal v. Town of Stockton Springs, 2017 ME