Congratulations to Rudman Winchell’s Ed Bearor for his nomination to the Bangor Mechanic Association.
It all began in 1830 with seven books in a footlocker. They were kept in a small chest in the publishing office of John S. Sayward on Exchange Street. It contained the first library of the Bangor Mechanic Association. Members could check out two books at a time.
As the collection increased, it was moved to ever-larger reading rooms in several downtown locations. The Association absorbed the Bangor Mercantile Association and its Library in 1873. In 1883, the collection was incorporated into the newly established Bangor Public Library. Click here to read the full history.